Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cordoba y futbol de americano

Whatever words I write will not do this weekend or my time here justice. I can simply say España es uno de los mejores lugares en el mundo. My weekend started out Friday morning with our second group excursion to Cordoba. A short hour and a half bus ride got us to our destination. On the way there I got a glimpse of how amazing the Spanish country side truly is. Rolling hills, fields of olive trees, and a few medieval castles made for an entertaining drive. 



Immediately after getting off the bus we crossed an ancient Roman bridge and made our way into the city. Our first stop was the Catedral-Mezquita aka a Mosque with a giant renaissance cathedral in it. The varying styles of architecture make this a truly unique building. Simple red and white arches on the outside edge reminded me that I was actually in a Mosque. However, as we moved closer to the building’s center Christian influences became more apparent. In the middle of the Mosque was a brightly lit cathedral complete with stain glass windows, pulpit, and choir hall. Although Dr. Ingles, the TTU center director, went on and on about how terrible it was to put the cathedral in the mosque it made for one of the most unique buildings I’ve ever seen. Yes, it would have been nice to see the mosque in it’s original state but this was just as good in my opinion.




After touring the Mosque we had some free time so some friends and I went and explored the city for a few hours. Cordoba reminded me of Seville in many ways. Just as in Seville, the shops surrounding the mosque were quite touristy. However, once we left that area the true feeling of Cordoba was revealed. From the 8th century to 1492 it was the capital of the independent Muslim emirate of Al-Andalus. As I walked through the city remains of ancient Roman and Muslim architecture was evident. The city’s exterior wall from centuries ago, now near the center of town, was still intact for the most part.  A ten minute walk from the wall was a revamped necropolis. This twenty foot high circular structure was used as a burial room back in the day and was eerie to say the least.

Nothing worth noting happened Friday night or Saturday so I’ll just skip over them. My Sunday was spent cramming for a History of Spain exam. Yes, I actually do have to study over here it’s not all fun and games. As many of you know some exciting NFL games were played over the weekend. Near the cathedral there are several touristy bars that show American sports so I was able to watch the games. All I can say is that the Steelers are going to destroy the pack when they meet in Jones’ house.

Before leaving to come here people stressed that culture shock affects many students and I should prepare myself for it. I don’t quite see what could possibly make someone not like this place. Yes the food is a little different, the streets have dog poop on them, and very few people speak English, but who cares. Spain has treated me well thus far and I see no reason to complain. The only culture shock I foresee in my future is on the American side when I return to the Estados Unidos. The lack of siestas and laid back European attitude could be detrimental to my health.

Texas Tech was kind enough to give us Friday off this weekend so myself and several other people will be enjoying our three day break in Barcelona. Until then, hasta luego




No comments:

Post a Comment